Re: British Cars Digest #1410...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1410...
From: Steevis@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 11:56:16 -0400
Hi all just found out about this BCD on the net- it's great! I am looking for
LBC owners on the east coast of Florida- clode to the cape would be great.
Maybe help each other out on mechanicals? I also would like to ask all Spit
owners if they are having trouble with new U-joints for rear axles. I've
bought from 2 different catalogs (list same PN for driveshafts) and they have
both been slightly wide to fit the yokes. I had to compensate by shaving a
couple thosandths off the ring clips to be able to secure them- seems to be
working okay. Another thing that bothers me is the way thrust bearings are
set up on a 1500 crank. I replaced some that were bad and had endplay to min
factory tolerance but once the tranny was joined to the engine the play was
completely gone and within a few hundred miles the new bearings were worn out
of limits. I heard the crank must be turned where the bearings ride every
time you change them, but it seems to me that there may also be a problem
with excessive preloading of the bearing from the tranny shaft. I was
thinking about trying something to relax this tnsion from the tranny. Does
any one have any suggestions?
Steve Wawrzyniec, TSgt USAF, 41RQS ( helo maint. tech.)