Re: Repairing Soft-Tops

To: Owen.Bradford@newcastle.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Repairing Soft-Tops
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 94 8:41:40 PDT

> One of my Midgets has a perfectly good original soft top fitted
> except for a small split (about 1-1.5 inches) just above the left
> side window as viewed from behind where the frame touches it.
> Does anyone have a sure fire repair for such a split or can recommend
> a good glue for patching?

Is this a vinyl top?  If so you can patch the inside with piece of
backing material (like canvas) and glue and used a vinyl patching kit on
the outside.  These kits come with half a dozen or so little containers
of a cream-like vinyl "filler" of different colors.  You mix to match
the color of you top.  If your top is black or white then probably no
mixing will be necessary.  Anyway, you clean the area of the tear and
spread on the filler.  These kits also come with a number of piece of
textured paper.  Find the piece with the closes match to the texture of
your top and lay it over the filler.  Then use the supplied heating tool
to press against the textured paper which cures the filler underneath.
When done if your lucky you won't even be able to see the rip.

Roland