re: Synthetic oils

To: fickes@taurus.apple.com (Stan Fickes) (Stan Fickes)
Subject: re: Synthetic oils
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 13:08:30 PDT

> >Synthetic oils don't break down and don't absorb petrolium byproducts in
> >the sump. I also recommend synthetic in the transmission and differential.
>
> Can the changeover be done at oil change time, (in the gearbox or diff) or
> do I need to tear it all down to flush out the old stuff first?  I'm a

Stan,

According to Redline their synthetic oils do mix with petroleum based
oils; in fact, I believe most synthetics contains some petroleum
products.  I have synthetic gear oil in the snake's transmission and
diff (actually this is something of an ongoing activity) and everything
seems to be working just dandy after two years.  I didn't do anything
beyond draining the old oil first; no flushing.  Oh, and the steering
also has synthetic oil.

Roland "keeping his fingers crossed" Dudley