Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber

To: meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu
Subject: Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber
From: doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com (Douglas Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 94 08:31:51 EDT
> From meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu Mon Oct 10 15:38:54 1994
> Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 12:25:12 -31702 (PDT)
> From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsuaix.csc.wsu.edu>
> Subject: Re: Stereotypes & Spit camber
> To: Douglas Mitchell <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
> Cc: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>
>

> On Mon, 10 Oct 1994, Douglas Mitchell wrote:
>

> > On the camber problem.  Changing the rear spring will have no effect on
> > the rear camber. Believe me. Been there, done... I completely rebuilt the
>
> I don't understand what you're getting at.  The rear end of the spit is
> swing axle.  Rear camber is directly proportional to the ride height of
> the car.  Put on a stiffer spring, camber is affected positively.  Load 5
> greaseball mechanic buddies on the trunk for the victory lap and camber
> is affected negatively.
>       If Margret's car has terminal negative camber, a spring that
> increases the ride height will positively affect camber.
>
>       Also, the radius rod going to the x-member behind the seats pulls
> the wheel hub forward as suspension deviates from center, causing
> toe-in.  So it is certainly in Margret's best interest to get the camber
> worked out properly, so that the toe alignment will also be correct.
>
>       Greg (university engineering type, however not necessarily
>             over-educated just yet) Meboe

Actually, under the condition as described, buddies on trunk, etc., the
camber will be positively affected. The spring in the Spit is a transverse
leaf spring, not a coil. And since it sits on top of the axle, and attaches
to the top of the trunions, it tends to push the top of the tires out. At
least on paper. From my experience, with no change in loading, in fact,
with no load, after changing the spring, there was absolutely no difference
in the rear camber. I have spent a lot of time over the past 19 years
trying to figure out how to eliminate the negative camber, even asking
suspension types for their input. I have in the end just decided to live
with it, as no amount of work has had any long lasting affect. The one
thing that I have not done is to install a camber compensator, but this
has worked for a friend of mine as I said in an earlier post.

Doug Mitchell - Sagging? That's camber for handling!