RE: Midget questions.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Midget questions.
From: "Alan Legerlotz .OSI Applications. dtn 226-5744" <legerlotz@smaug.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 94 06:48:32 EDT
Andrew writes:

>>   After having my car for two days, I'm already starting to wonder just how
>>far over my head I'm actually in.  The car isn't in quite the shape I thought,
>>but I did manage to find one panel that hasn't rusted completely through yet.
>>I suppose this is a start...
>>
>>   Another question--does anyone know offhand if any of the overseas companies
>>mentioned earlier sell body panels for the Midget at a reasonable price?  I
>>know at least three places in the States who can help me, but I'm looking for
>>the lowest bidder, as usual.  I've heard this isn't a good idea, with the fit
>>of cheap body panels being notoriously bad and all, but I'm only looking to
>>replace floor pans and the like.  Anything would have to fit better than the
>>stolen real-estate signs the PO used.

It doesn't sound like you have a big budget for this project, but if the car is
REALLY that rusty, a new body shell might be the best (and cheapest) way to fix
it correctly.  The body pannels are available through places, but some are
rather
expensive.  A body shell, albiet expensive, is cheaper than buying most of the
panels separately.  Food for thought...

A lot of this depends on what you want the car to be when you're done.  A
driver
that is safe but not necessarily beautiful, a show peice, or something in
between.

-Al