Multimeters (was Re: battery terminal sizes)

To: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Multimeters (was Re: battery terminal sizes)
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 09:19:03 -0400
Berry Kercheval writes:

> In message <9408251533.AA12854@csx2282.cdc.hp.com> you write:
>>> local source of wisdom says: the larger pole is the (+) pole and, as night
>>> follows day, the smaller pole is the (-) pole.

>> How about just borrowing a voltmeter and verifying the polarity?

> Gee, surely EVERYONE with Lucas wiring in their car has a voltmeter?  I
> couldn't get by without mine -- A fancy Goldstar LCD version I got for $35 at
> Fry's Electronics.

Sears recently had a sale (for around $50) on the Fluke 77, a slick
Autoranging Multimeter.   This is an excellent multimeter, including
measurements for voltage, current, and resistance.  Supports
either DC or AC, has a connectivity tester with audio indicator
(this is a major feature for a LBC owner), and is rugged and durable.
I would highly suggest that anybody looking for a multimeter consider
one of these.  Mine has served me dependably for a real long time.

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631