Re: 87 XJS Cold Start and CDROM

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 87 XJS Cold Start and CDROM
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 01:22:01 -0400 (EDT)

> I have a mild coldstart problem with 1987 Jagusr XJS V12 HE, it runs low RPM
> and rough when first started. The problem is this; every manual I get my
> hands on says this engine has 2 cold start fuel injectors and a thermotime
> switch, IT DOESN'T and local Jag dealer says none do. Where do I get info on
> the FI system minus coldstart injectors??

You are correct here. All the manuals and wiring diagrams call for cold start
injectors. The later cars do not have them. Since we first discussed this I've
been keeping an eye open. It appears from my limited survey that non of the US
spec P-Jet cars have them.
 But, while annoying, this really desn't matter in your case. The cold start
injectors fire for a maximum of 6 seconds when two conditions are met: the
engine temp is below 60 F, and the starter is engaged. (numbers quoted are
typical for Bosch systems, but may not be accurate for any one particular car)

> Also, I went to a shop in a small rural towne once for some wiring diagrams,
> they had these on CDROM... Does anyone have info on this CDROM source? I
> don't remember where I went that time..

Various companies are offering shop manuals on CD-Rom. These CD's are meant to
replace the volumes of books the same way they do in other fields. My shop
eliminated 25 of 40 linear feet of books with one of these systems.
 But to answer your specific question, these CDs are not available on a car by
car basis. My system has three CDs, one Euro, two Japanese. The system relies
heavily on reprints of the factory manuals. Heavy royalties are involved.
Prices range from $2k to $15k.

> Thanks,
>  Dennis

   Randy