out of control

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: out of control
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 08:35:35 EDT
Fellow fiends:

My peers tell me that I am a member of the "medical science research
community," hence my need to be the first to identify and describe a disease
or syndrome as such.  Well, I guess TeriAnn beat me to "restorer's malaise"
so let me try again (who actually discoverd shipwright's disease?).  I
propose the following new disease:

Restorus Punctilious Obsesivus,

otherwise known as RePO's disease.  Its symptoms are: (1) an overriding
obsession with making sure that each part that goes on is clean, neat and an
acceptably aesthetic color, (2) consuming depression about using old dirty
bolts instead of new shinny ones, modern hose clams instead of the old
original style, switching to (-) ground, and whether having a new VIN plate
stamped is "going too far," and last but not least (3) giving up sleep,
work, family life, and good health for the sake of finishing the project
yesterday.

Yes, I know these symptoms personally.  The bizarre thing is I'm not really
restoring this car for show.  Of course I want it to look *nice* but a
modest degeree of "incorrectness" is almost my target.  This car is going to
be a driver, not a showpiece.  That is, RePO's disease has struck me
unintentionally.  The way I figure it, the only cure for this desease is
death, or possibly rejection by your peers at the next club get-together (a
form of psychic shock treatment).

In my case, I'm even trying to figure out a way to take Friday off so that
by Sunday evening...
1.      the engine bay will be completed
2.      the interior will be completed, save seats and top
3.      the front end will be partially disassembled and the bushings reamed
4.      I'm going to start thinking about starting the d**n thing up, and...
5.      my back will be killing me.

Is this too much to ask?  Problems are: I'm being paid to work on Friday,
and my mother-in-law visiting for the weekend.

Will "got it bad" Zehring

"Wow, a man-eating carrot!  The mind boggles!"
-what's-his-name in "The thing from another world"