Re: getting closer to making a car selection

To: JWisland@aol.com
Subject: Re: getting closer to making a car selection
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 11:03:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 1 Sep 1994 JWisland@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks for all your wonderful/entertaining suggestions (re 1st Brit _driver_
> for no garage, rainy climate, limited budget, etc.)
>
> Have decided on well-maintained car (no project) now or in future (when I
> find _it_). Most people steering me towards pre-70 MGB, of course.  But, keep
> finding other interesting vehicles.
>
> Expect to see/drive a '57 Austin Healey 100/6 w 289 Ford V8 engine tomorrow.
>  Advice?

> Judith Winter

I would favor the MG over the Healey under the conditions stated.  A
well-maintained MG should be easy to keep maintained.  I have nothing
against hybrids, but it may be difficult to repair.  I once put a Chevy V8
into a '49 Willys Jeepster.  There were parts from half a dozen different
cars in the mix.  When I sold it, I did not think about the problem (I
*knew* what I had used).  I got calls from the buyer for the next couple
of years:  "What kind of a master cylinder did you use?" I am glad he
never asked about the pilot bearing or some of the other parts I made.
"OK, John, what you want to do is get some oilite bronze and soak it in
oil for a few days.  Then chuck it in a lathe..." Yeah, riiiiiight.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910