Toyota 2000GT & Jaguar E-Type.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Toyota 2000GT & Jaguar E-Type.
From: Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 1994 10:15:59 -0400
I spotted the following on the Toyota mailling list that may spark
your interest:

# In 1960's, TOYOTA wanted "sport car" but they even didn't know(according to
# my source) what the real sport car was.  At the same time, NISSAN was
# developing a sport car with YAMAHA but NISSAN canceled the plan.  Then TOYOTA
# took over the plan with YAMAHA and the result was 2000GT.  The engineer was
# given Jaguar E type for reference and this kind of  explains the similarity
# between 2000GT and E type.

Kind of reminds me of the saying that "history repeats itself" when you
recall that Mazda's engineers were given British cars, a Lotus Elan at
least, if I remember, for reference when developing the MX-5 Miata.  I
hadn't realised that Toyota had done the same with their fabulous 2000GT.
James Bond fans will remember that two or three 2000GTs were used in the
"You Only Live Twice" movie.  I read somewhere not too long ago that one
of those cars is in Toyota's own auto museum.

The Japanese know a good thing when they see it, and British Cars
are good things, right?  :-)

        Cheers!

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert