Re: optional alternator for TR4A

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: optional alternator for TR4A
From: <amace%sedofis@VM1.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 09:35:38 EST
=========================     TR4AALTE                 =======================

   I lost the original post, so I don't remember who started this,
   but...

   From the _Repair Operation Manual; Triumph TR4-TR4A-TR250-TR5-
   TR6_, part number AKM 3646, Leyland Cars, British Leyland UK
   Limited, c. 1977. Pages 86-14 on -- Alternator Data Chart:

   TR4A Optional Equipment

   Lucas 11AC (available in Positive! or Negative earth)
               Triumph part numbers:    Lucas part numbers:
   Pos. earth         211962                 23517
   Neg. earth         213121                 54021093
   fan                143775                 54216148
   pulley             142223                    --

   Amperage 45
   Control unit 4 TR

   I also consulted the _Triumph TR4 Workshop Manual_, part number
   510322, incorporating the August 1965 Amendment 2, TR.4A (that's
   the way it was written -- with a period!) Supplement. Scanning
   through quickly, I saw no mention of an optional alternator in
   that book, so I would assume the option came somewhat later in
   production. I couldn't find my TR4 Spares Catalogue reprint for
   further verification.

   BTW: I don't find any of the above part numbers in the latest
   TRF Green Price List. :-(

   Oh and Bill Sohl, I've been around Triumphs for over 30 years
   myself, and I've never seen an original condition TR4A with an
   alternator, either! Probably ranks right up there in scarcity
   with the TR2-3 Rear Wheel Cover (fender skirts for us colonists)
   Kit (I've seen one set in my life) and the Witter Tow Bar Kit
   for the Herald!

   If anyone wishes more detail, e-mail me directly.

   Andy -- I wanna get me one o' them there Exterior Sun Visors,
   part number 559930, for my Herald -- Mace

   amace%sedofis@vm1.nysed.gov
   amace@unix2.nysed.gov