Re: battery cutoff switches

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: battery cutoff switches
From: rush@mnementh.Metaphor.COM (Ed Rush)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 18:16:08 PDT
Will Zehring sez:
> On the other
> hand, it is hardly a deterrant if it is just in the engine compartment,
> right there by the solenoid, saying "Here I am, turn me on and the car is
> yours!"

Perhaps so, but what about a bank of four or five toggle switches, to make
a kind of combination lock?  The combination would be hardwired into the
way you connect the switches, but you could make it changeable by using
sleeve-and-tab connectors.

When you leave the car, you simply turn all of the switches one way or the
other.  When you want to go again, you turn SOME of them the other way.
With four switches, your thief has 16 combinations to try, and with five
switches (s)he has 32 -- assuming (s)he even thinks to look for the switches.

  Ed Rush, not speaking for Metaphor, Mtn. View, California
  Internet: rush@mnementh.metaphor.com
  Epicenter: 117/17/11-12      TR3A: TS 66235 L
  "Aw, stamp my hand, I want to ride everything!"