Tyres: Crossply vs Radial

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars Network)
Subject: Tyres: Crossply vs Radial
From: andrew@server.uwindsor.ca (Templer Andrew)
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 94 9:36:14 EDT
I would appreciate comments on the crossply (or is it biasply?) vs radial
tyre debate?
The car concerned is my Wolseley (6/110)  - heavy (1600kg) with BMC C
series engine - relatively high top speed (supposedly 105 mph --
typically about 75 mph on highway).  Original tyres: 7.50 - 13  crossply.

Reports in such mags as Popular Classics often say something like:  "Bill
has achieved much better handling by fitting radial tyres (in this case
185-70-13)".

Yet I have also met at least two owners of these cars who argue
vehemently that handling in terms of predicability and noise is much
superior on the original crossply tyres.  This argument is made in terms
of the original steering design (in my case that awful Austin cam & peg
system), and not restoration originality!

Thanks
Andrew

                   Bus Admin, U of Windsor, Windsor. Ont. CANADA   N9B 3P4
Andrew Templer     Answerphone: 519-253-4232     Ext 3159
                   Telefax:     519-973-7073     EMAIL: andrew@uwindsor.ca