Re: Bringing a car to California

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bringing a car to California
From: MULLENT@YMV5.YMP.GOV
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 1994 08:16:02 -0800 (PST)
Shel,

A car does not need to be a Calif. car or meet Calif. emmisions to be
brought into Calif.  You have to pay a $300 fee (at least that is what
it was in '91) that will be refunded if the car was built to Calif.
emmisions specs. The car still has to meet it's original US specs, but
in your case, I don't know. Your federal exemption should still work
for Calif., but it would probably depend on who you get to okay it.
You might call the "California Buerau of Automotive Repairs, Dept. of
Consumer Affairs" at (714)491-0978 (the number is about 4 years old).
They helped a friend of mine who wanted ot bring a jeep with an engine
from a different year and no emmision equipment into Calif. (he
didn't).

I didn't know the "one per lifetime" exemption applied to the EPA, I
thought it just applied to NHSTB safty equipment.  It's nice to know
incase I ever want to bring in a F40 or something that they never made
a US version...  :-)  like _I_ could ever afford it...

Tim Mullen          mullent@ymv5.ymp.gov    Chantilly, VA
72 Elan Sprint      "For the few who know the difference"