Lubricating New Pistons & Rings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lubricating New Pistons & Rings
From: GRBX%mimi@magic.itg.ti.com
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 15:10:15 CDT
From: GEOFF BISHEL               grbx@msg.ti.com

Subj: Lubricating New Pistons & Rings

I can't say much about the effects of _NOT_ lubricating the pistons and
rings, but I did have an experience very similar to George Haynes'.
I rebuilt a Datsun L16 motor in a '72 510, and lubed the piston walls,
cylinder walls and rings as much as possible using white lithium grease.

I thought I was erring on the side of caution, but after about 4500 miles
the engine still burnt some oil.  At the time I figured I had screwed up
something, and not lubed the engine enough and scored a cylinder when
putting the pistons in.  I gather I did just the opposite.

Geoff Bishel     bishel@lobby.ti.com      grbx@msg.ti.com