TR4A Bushings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A Bushings
From: fox@imagitex.com (Barry Fox)
Date: Tue, 24 May 94 09:17:55 EDT
I need more net.wisdom.  The bushings on my TR4A have finally reached
the point where replacement is necessary. (Actually, passed that point
quite a while ago, just realized it yesterday  :^)  ).  I ignored all
the good advice earlier regarding spring compressors/clamps, figuring
"I'll never have to do that job".  So the question is, specifically
for the lower outer A arm bushings, is it necessary to hold the spring
compressed while that humungo bolt which holds the trunion ( one of my
favourite BritCar words) to the A arm is withdrawn?  Can I place a jack
stand under the point where the damper attaches to the lower A arm, lower
the weight of the car onto it and trust that will hold the whole mess
together?

Any and all input is appreciated, as Basil is unusable until this is
resolved.

Cheers,

Barry Fox   fox@imagitex.com    DuPont Imagitex       Nashua, NH
  W1HFN