[TR6] Transmission rebuild cost?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR6] Transmission rebuild cost?
From: flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu (Flemming Larsen)
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 11:24:29 -0700
I just got a quote for rebuilding the transmission for my 1974 Triumph
TR6 (4 speed, no OD) for $950.

At the moment, I don't have anything to compare that price to.

Does that price seem reasonable? Does anybody in the SF Bay Area have
experiences with local transmission shops. If I decide to go with the
$950 quote, should I at least expect some kind of warranty on the
rebuilt transmission. Anything else I should know before going ahead?

FYI. I just had a new clutch put in. After reinstalling the transmission
there is a grinding sound, like a bad bearing, coming from the trans-
mission, in neutral, first, second and third gears. No noise in fourth
gear or reverse. I did not have that noise when I last drove the car,
but that was four years ago.

Owning a couple of british cars is getting to be as expensive as owning
a sailboat. Owning a couple of british cars AND a sailboat is twice as
expensive!

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

-- Flemming "grinding my teeth AND my gearbox" Larsen

   flarsen@uclink.berkeley.edu