Re: your mail

To: jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com (Jay Nemeth-Johannes)
Subject: Re: your mail
From: jerry@tr2.com (Jerome Kaidor)
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 08:51:59 -0700 (PDT)

> For the last week or so, I have been rebuilding the master cyl in my
> Magnette (same as an MGA 1500).
> Now that I've gone through the trouble, I am starting to wonder why. I
> know what the valve does, i.e. prevents fluid from running back into
> the master cylinder from the brake lines, but I wonder why you would
> want such a thing on a car with drum brakes.

 **** Even with drum brakes, it's deemed desirable to keep a residual
pressure in the lines, to keep the brake hardware "at the ready".  Although
the dual Lockheed cylinder certainly doesn't need it as much as, say,
a Girling master cylinder from the same era, which just won't work at all
without the valve.

   I bet the P.O. thought he was fixing the infamous MGA sticking brakes
syndrome.  Which was probably really caused by a swelling cork front plate
gasket.

                  - Jerry Kaidor