Re: Fading Brake Pedal

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fading Brake Pedal
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 1994 00:27:57 -0500 (EST)

> I can't recall who had a pedal that was firm then slowly fell to the
> floor, but gained stiffness with pumping. You'll probably get a thousand
> replies to this! It's the classis case of air in the lines. Bleed the
> system carefully.

A pedal that goes to the floor, and only firms up after some vigorous pumping
is the classic case of air in the lines. When the pedal starts firm, and
then slowly sinks away, it's caused by a bad primary seal on one of the
master cylinder pistons. When this happens, there will be no fluid loss.
The fluid that bleeds past the primary seal goes back into the reservoir.

   Randy
    randy@taylor.wyvern.com