Re: misfiring (continued)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: misfiring (continued)
From: kburtch@pts.mot.com (Kevin Burtch X8534 Ppppp)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 17:43:53 EST
> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 1994 13:51:24 -0600
> From: Marcus Tooze <tooze@gis.uiuc.edu>

> I don't want to blow big $$$$$ on a new dizzy if thats not the prob. How can
> it misfire only occasionally? What should I systematically check...what tests
> do I use? The Haynes does not mention a misfiring problem like this.

Hope I'm not too late with this...  (they like me to actually _work_ here ;)

The easiest way to test if it's your distributor, pull the cap, and grab the
shaft, wiggling from side to side. If it moves enough to see, or feel well
then that's the problem. I had my distributor go on my Duster, and it was
the exact same symptoms, but when it died the last time I couldn't even get
it to idle, much less move! (not good) A friend with a '77 Accord has gone
through _three_ distributors so far! (the ONLY problem with the car!)

I might suggest converting to an optical triggered ignition, they are MUCH
less sensitive to the shaft's centerline than points. Another thing you
could try is taking it to a machine shop (stripped) to have a custom
"bearing-bronze" bushing fitted.

I don't know what a distributor costs for one of those, so I'm not sure if
I'm helping or not. (I'm trying though :)

> Thanks for bearing with me...

"bearing" - that's funny!

> Yours glumly
>
> Marcus

Cheer up, and good luck!
Kevin           "Get in, sit down, shut up, and HANG ON!"