XK120 Moss Gearbox

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: XK120 Moss Gearbox
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 10 Mar 1994 12:41:32 -0600
REGARDING                XK120 Moss Gearbox
Posting to british-cars and to jag-lovers.

The temperature warmed up around here this past weekend, so I pulled the
gearbox out of the XK120. It comes out rather easily after removing the seats,
floorboards and tunnel. As a reminder, it was having problems back in October,
popping out of second and getting stuck in first.

I took the gearbox apart and found that on the first speed wheel with the
relieved tooth, the unrelieved part of this tooth has been deformed into a
furrow shape by the ball/plunger riding against it. There is a corresponding
dimple on the mainshaft caused by the other end of the plunger. Thus I at least
know why it took a blunt nose chisel and a big hammer to get it out of first
gear. I'm still looking for the reason it pops out of second.

Anyhow, I thought I'd ask a few questions of the groups.

1. Why is the gearbox called a "Moss" box? Who or what is/was Moss?

2. Is there a Moss Gear company or a Moss Transmission company or a Moss
Industrial Products or something like? Can someone in the UK with an industrial
directory look them up?

3. The first speed wheel is marked "G.G.Co."
    Is this the trademark of some gear company in the UK?

4. Did Jaguar assemble the boxes or did they buy them already pre-assembled?

5. Does anyone know of anyone selling new gears for these gearboxes?

Anyone replying from british-cars, could you please E-mail me direct as I am
not able to read the digest every day.

Thanks, friends.

"For he that sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother."
 Henry V, Act IV, Scene 3 .......... King Henry, looking for help as he skinned
his knuckles repairing his gearbox before the battle of Agincourt.