Rover V8 identification

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rover V8 identification
From: kburtch@pts.mot.com (Kevin Burtch X8534 Ppppp)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 94 09:37:24 EST
Does anyone know how to identify a Rover V8 by it's stamps? (numbers/letters)
I have one, and am getting another, and I would like to know their origin.

The first, I think is a "80-"81 California (FI) TR8 engine, but it has a
Buick distributor, intake, and probably exhaust manifolds. The intake is a
four-barrel manifold with a Carter AFB sitting on top. The exhaust manifolds
aren't any of the ones shown in Tuning Rover V8s. The exhaust manifolds are
single outlet, cast iron, short runner setups, with a 3-bolt flange. Is this
the same as a TR8's?

The second _should_be_ a stock 1980 SD1 unit. (FI)

Does anyone know if David Hardcastle has an e-mail address? (wishful thinking :)

Thanks!,
Kevin