MG head gasket questions

To: SOL LIST <BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG head gasket questions
From: Eubank Lynn Alan <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 09:30:17 -0600 (CST)
Hi, y'all

Last night I did the weekly checkup on the B. Oil is still seeping
past the head on the right above the front exhaust outlet, but now
coolant is starting to seep past on the left above the spark plugs.
Ok, ok, it's time to replace the head gasket. Before I start, I'd
like some net.wisdom from past discussions.

First of all, I intend to take out the first thread or so in the
holes in the block for the head bolts. The question: What size
drill bit is optimal for countersinking?

Next a question on reassembly. When I put that head on back in
~86, I seem to remember using a very gooey headgasket sealant
that went under the brand Indian Head. It was close to the
consistency of tree sap; some of it cooked and bubbled its way out
past the crack in the following hot Texas summer. Any suggestions
on sealant for the new head gasket? Or should I perhaps put it
on without sealant?

Finally, some months ago there was a discussion on putting
a drip of oil on the threads of the head bolts prior to torquing.
The problem, if I remember correctly, was that some folks felt that
the oil would make the nuts turn more easily, but might also
result in a false reading from the torque wrench, in effect,
cause overtightening. Did I miss something of that discussion, or
was there ever any consensus on the matter?

That's it from here ... oh, yeah, I do indeed intend to use the
rope trick I learned from the list (-:

thanks,

lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
indennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnton