Re: Minilites (was Re: Midget Confusions)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Minilites (was Re: Midget Confusions)
From: Mike Causer <mike@setanta.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 94 13:08:43 GMT
Phil Ethier said -

>  > These "Minilites" are aluminum, not magnesium, right?

>  Right.  The new Minilites are cast in the typical sort of aluminum alloy
>  generally used for wheels nowadays, not the light, strong and dangerously
>  flamable magnesium used in the old days.

Magnesium burns really well when it gets going - but it's hard to set alight in
the first place, unless it's fine swarf.  I have a Minilite magnesium wheel
(bent) from a Lola in use as a coffee table base - and you can come over & stub
out cigarettes against any time you like.  You could probably put a lighter to
it, but I'm not so sure about a blow torch.  Hell, you can get steel to burn
with a blow torch and supply of oxygen - that's all a "thermic lance" is.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Causer           Setanta Technology        mike@setanta.demon.co.uk
                         Cambridge UK