Re: Rotoflex couplings on the GT6+

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Subject: Re: Rotoflex couplings on the GT6+
From: Kirby Palm <palmk@freenet.scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 94 8:53:48 EST
> Your comments about the rotoflex couplings on the GT6 Mk.2 and early
> Mk.3 were surprising to me. In all the things I've heard and read about
> the GT6, these were never mentioned as a problem. In fact, that particular
> suspension configuration has been noted as the best one on all the GT6
> models. They last about as long as U-joints, and they absorb a lot of the
> shock that normally would get transferred to the diff and the rest of the
> drivetrain.

Similar joints were used in my foster father's Lotus 23 race car with
no problems.  Since I have never owned a GT6 with them, I cannot speak
from personal experience.  I have met many owners of such cars,
however, and every one griped about those joints.  One told of having
to replace them every few months, and another swore by the aftermarket
U-joint-and-slip-joint fix.  I had put the difference down as due to
the Lotus weighing only 940 pounds and having essentially no
suspension travel during normal use.

--
                                ---  Kirbert