tie-wraps, zip wraps, etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: tie-wraps, zip wraps, etc.
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 10:12:44 -0600
>> Regardless of reports from others, I do not recommend using zip-wraps
>> on gaitors or boots.  The plastic deteriorates and pops off within a
>> year or so.

>I agree with this.  That's why I didn't even attempt to use the cable
>ties that came with the gaiters.

Well, I'd like to offer a counter example.  The plastic tie wraps that are
holding the gaiters on my TR8's steering rack have been on for 5 years
now and it looks like the wraps will outlive the boots!  There are also
a host of plastic tie wraps in the engine holding wire harnesses etc.
and they've been there (presumably) since the car was new.  Only
a few have failed (they were brittle and cracked when I fussed with
them).  BTW, the gaiters were cheapies from VB and the plastic ties
looked cheesy but I decided to try them anyway.  So far, so good.

Having said all that, I believe it was either Tim Buja (or maybe Lawrence)
that pointed out (some time ago now), that not all tie wraps are created
equal.  There ARE military-spec tie wraps which are less likely to succomb
to UV embrittling (is that a word Scott?) than your ordinary Radio Shack
variety.

Sooo, your mileage may definitely vary on this one... :-)

jim (now that I think of it, I use tie wraps on everything....)