Re: Silver Streak

To: wyvern!cdc.hp.com!cobra@hoosier
Subject: Re: Silver Streak
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 1994 23:01:14 -0500 (EST)
> Following a "start simple" strategy I bought a set of points and a
> condenser at a local parts store and installed them first thing.  Not
> expecting much, I started up the car and took off for a few circuits of
> the 'hood.  10 minutes passed without a stumble.  As time passed I got
> braver and drove in ever widening circles.  Not one problem in half an
> hour.

For years now, in response to running problem pleas, I've been privately
mailing statements like: If the condensor is old, replace it, if it's *new*
it's probably defective, replace it. Always replace the condensor etc. etc.
Wouldn't you know, I didn't send you that blurb and ..... :>

> problem, but that time the roughness had been continuous and fairly easy
> to track down to the condenser slipping in its bracket.  At the same
> time I had also noticed that the tachometer was acting flaky.  After
> roughing up the surface of the condenser with sandpaper and squeezing
> the bracket tighter, the running problem cleared up and the tach stopped
> its bouncing around.  Naturally I assumed that the two problems were
> related at the time.  But soon afterwards the tach resumed its flakiness

You just found mechanic's trick #187; watch the tach. Tis a quick, rough,
indication to fuel or spark problems. Doesn't work too good on a few cars,
such as TR6's, though. Something about the tach being mechanical, not
electric.

> problem but it is annoying.  Hmm, I bought this controller from the same
> parts place I bought the crappy condenser and points from.  Maybe
> there's a lesson here somewhere.

You get a big, knowing, nod here. It's sometimes tough getting quality
parts in this market (read price) driven economy. :<

 Randy
   randy@taylor.wyvern.com