rocker shaft question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: rocker shaft question
From: Jon Mason Gougar Jr <gougar@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 1994 12:33:44 -0600 (CST)
   I just pulled the rocker assembly and head off of my 73 BGT and
found plenty of things to make me happy, such as a fairly fresh crosshatch
in the cylinders and only one cooked exhaust valve, but just before
returning to school, I noticed that the rocker shaft doesn`t have any of
those screw in plugs in its' ends, and doesn`t appear to have any threads
to accommodate such plugs, either. This puzzles me, because I am under the
impression that leaving these plugs out would cause oiling problems to
the rocker arms. But, since I am a novice at this sort of thing, I`m hoping
that there is a simple (cheap) answer to this question. There wasn`t a huge
oil consumption problem. It used about a quart every thousand miles, which
from what I`ve gathered is good for this car. I couldn`t seem to wiggle the
rockers on the shaft, and I know this isn`t a very scientific examination,
but I had no time for a thorough inspection, ssince I had to return to school
this week. Any answers or ideas will be much appreciated.