Re: Throwout Bearings & interlocks

To: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Subject: Re: Throwout Bearings & interlocks
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 1994 22:17:05 -0600 (CST)
John R. Lupien writes >

> "effects of legislative and litigious idiocy". The "must step on clutch"
> idea was a reaction to the Audi 5000 lies about unintended acceleration.

No way.  My 1976 Chev pickup had a "must step on clutch" interlock.

> Once it became clear that in fact what had happened was that a large
> number of idiots couldn't be trusted to tell the difference between the
> gas pedal and the brake pedal, lots of car companies decided that they had
> to do something to protect themselves from such idiots - the result was
> such bogosities as the clutch pedal interlock.

The fault really was Audi's in a way.  These were automatic-transmission
cars.  The investigation showed that the people actually had a foot on the
gas pedal.  The problem is that some lame-brain at Audi figured that as
long as they only needed two pedals, why not make the gas pedal
extra-large for comfort.  Yes, it was unintended acceleration.  Yes it was
indirectly Audi's fault.  But I don't remember hearing that they lost any
cases