Re: Silver Bulletin

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Silver Bulletin
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 15:15:31 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 12 Jan 1994, Roland Dudley wrote:

> Another twist in the "erratic running snake mystery".  Last night I
> decided to check a couple of things and discovered that the battery was
> completely dead.  Suspiciouser and suspicouser.  Well, this could have
> been simple dumbness I my part.  Because the ignition warning light
> stayed on when I removed the key, I decided to leave the key inserted
> with the switch in the accessories position so that the light would stay
> off.  I have no idea why this would drain the battery.  Nothing was on
> and I assume the ignition circuitry was disconnected in this mode.  So,
> I'm either over looking something obvious here or the ignition switch is
> hosed even more than I thought.  Anyway, I removed the battery ground

Seems your ignition switch is hosed, indeed.  Something inside has come
adrift.  Betcha $0.39 this is the entire problem, and that there is
intermittant and/or high resistance contact to the "run" position
connection.

You know the warning light should not stay on when the key is out, and at
the same time the engine is off song.  Your snake *could* have suffered
two independent faults simultaneously, but Occam's Razor would lead me to
bet the two are related.  When you hear hoofbeats in your back yard, you
don't assume it's a unicorn.  Play juvenile delinquent and hot wire the
sucker when the battery is charged.

Ray (Post hoc, ergo propter hoc) Gibbons