Re: Active mufflers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Active mufflers
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 10:52:43 -0500 (EST)
>      Tim Mullen writes:
>
> I saw a show on the Discovery channel, or The Learning Channel (or
> some such cable channel) the had an "article" about Lotus's Active
> sound canceling system.  The system used sensors placed around the
> interior of the car to "listen" to the noise, then cancel the noise
> (engine sounds, air conditioner, etc.) by generating more "noise" 180
> degrees out of phase. The system was designed to eliminate the buzz of
> small 2, 3, or 4 cylinder econo box cars and engines; -- to make them
> more acceptable.

Good as far as it goes, but Lotus suffer from a lack of imagination
(probably the Detroit influence).  Having canceled the sound of the
econobox, the system should replace it with your choice of Ferrari,
Porsche, Jaguar (toggle switch for 6 or 12 cyl), etc. in full song, with
appropriate synchronization to the shift lever and accelerator.  Talk
about Walter Mitty.

I have been known to make appropriate engine-like sounds vocally when
downshifting my H**** Prelude, but only when alone in the car.

Ray Gibbons