RE: British Cars Digest #1054 Wed Jan 5 01:15:01 MST 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #1054 Wed Jan 5 01:15:01 MST 1994
From: "Bob Hamilton" <rhamilto@fox.nstn.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 94 11:33:21 AST
In Message Wed, 5 Jan 1994 01:15:01 -0700,
  british-cars-request@autox.team.net writes:

>Symptoms:
>
>Initially everything works correctly.  After about 5 minutes or so of driving,
>the car freewheels when letting off the gas when not in OD, or in first or
>second gears.  The OD seems to engage correctly in third and fourth and not go
>in in first or second.  When in OD, the car does not freewheel when getting
>off
>the gas.  On the freeway, after 20 minutes of so of driving not in over drive,
>the car started to pop into & out of over drive (so I put into OD).  The short
>term cure  is to take it home with OD engaged and park it until I can get it
>fixed.
>

>So, any experts out there willing to hazard some guesses as to what is
>happening?  My thought is to put it on stands, check anything I can for
>movement, clean the screen, change the oil, and try to clean any check ball &
>passage I can reach without pulling the transmission.
>
>Expert opinions gladly accepted,
>
>TeriAnn

TeriAnn,

I have basically the same O/D unit in my 1984 Volvo 244 Turbo (5 sp.) and I
had the same symptoms you describe, O.K. cold but hard to get unto O/D when
warm and would free wheel when decelerating. My unit had over 200,000 kms on
it and the seals on the hydraulic pump inside the unit just wore out and it
could not hold the pressure required to keep the clutch engaged. The only
way around it is to dismantle and replace the seals on the pump and on the
two actuating cylinders. also, you should only be able to engage the O/D in
either 3rd or 4th gears otherwise there is also a problem with a lockout
switch being disconnected. DO NOT try to operate the car in reverse with
the O/D unit engaged!! FWIW

Bob
Bob Hamilton         Home:(902) 861-3277
P.O.Box 202          Office: (902) 424-6645
Waverley, N.S.       N.S.C.C., Institute of Technology,
B0N 2S0              Automated Manufacturing Technology
1954 Sunbeam Talbot, 1984 244 Volvo Turbo