what happened?

To: mjb
Subject: what happened?
From: mjb (Mark J Bradakis)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 14:28:42 -0700
=========================     VITESSE                  =======================

  Dan Parslow writes:

  >Well, now I've done it.

  >Always wanted a Triumph 6, and I've just bought a seriously
  >wacky example:  A '66 Vitesse.  The body is straight and sound,
  >rust free apart from a few superficial places where paint's
  been
  >scratched off.  Problem areas such as floors, sills and wheel
  >wells show no sign of repairs.  All the badges are in place,
  and

  On these cars, those are minor problem areas compared to the
  chassis frame itself. If THAT'S ok, you are golden!

  BTW, I'm so jealous; I've wanted one of these for years! Being
  Herald/Vitesse Consultant for VTR, you'd think I'd already have
  one. Right now, though, I've got enough Heralds to last a
  lifetime ( mine, not theirs 8?) ). Basically what you've got is
  a Herald with a truly unique style of front end sheetmetal, a
  lot of torque (relatively speaking), a close ratio gearbox and
  some nice extra touches in the interior (well, it HAD some nice
  touches....)

  >Solex carbs, too...I've never seen them before.  They certainly
  >look simple enough.

  If they're a problem, you should be able to go with an early
  (straight port) GT6 intake and carbs.

  >The only problems are the gearbox (not diagnosed yet), possibly
  >the clutch, and the interior is total loss, it's been parked in
  >the desert for at least a year or two, and the rabbits, pack

  With the earlier Vitesse, the interior is pretty much Herald,
  except for the walnut cappings on the door tops, and a few other
  minor details. Dashboards are similar, unless your Vitesse is
  late enough to have a tach as well.

  What are Commission and engine numbers? HB prefix? And, for
  curiosity sake, does it say *Vitesse* or *Sports 6* on the
  badges?

  >My questions are:  1) Any Vitesse or early GT6 owners have any
  >caveats about this drivetrain?  All info appreciated.

  No better, no worse than any other Triumph, generally. Most of
  the same caveats apply. At 85k, it may well be time to rebuild
  or overhaul the engine. Considering its heritage, it's easy
  (mostly bolt-in) to update the car if you so desire. Frankly,
  though, there are so few of these here in the USofA, let alone
  in original condition, that from a value standpoint you'd be
  better off leaving it stock if possible, which should still
  leave it quite driveable and enjoyable.

  A good contact for spares in England would be John Kipping's
  Triumph Spares in Coventry. The phone numbers I have are 011 44
  203 645333 for voice and
  011 44 203 645030 for FAX; catalog is free (?) to us colonists.
  I have a postal address at home if you're interested. Don't know
  much about TriumphTune.

  >3)  Could someone send me info on the Triumph Sports Six Club?

=
  Triumph Sports Six Club
  Main Street, Lubenham
  Market Harborough
  Leics LE16 9TF ENGLAND
  (+44 858) 434424
  (+44 858) 431936 FAX

  (courtesy Chris Kent Kantarjiev's 12/15/93 posting)

  If you need more info on the car, contact me directly.

  Andy Mace, VTR Herald/Vitesse Consultant
  amace%sedofis@vm1.nysed.gov