Re: GT6 driveline

To: b-c@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: GT6 driveline
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 94 13:47:08 -0600
Actually, the GT6 rotoflex coupling is more of a CV joint than a U-joint.
I provides the lateral flexing of a U-joint, but also allows the axle to
change length as the suspension geometry demands. I wonder of the big
CV joints used on VW buses would be a decent replacement?

Actually, my understanding is that the rotoflex couplings actually serve
as shock absorbers in the driveline. A lot of sudden pressures that would
be on the rear end/tranny gears are made softer/slower by the rotoflex
doughnuts.

Also, if I remember correctly, only the Mk.1 GT6 engine had a single chain
timing chain. The Mk. 2 (+) and Mk. 3 had double chains. I got this from
reading the catalog, I've not opened mine up to see. Hopefully THAT one can
wait a while!

I'm still waiting for my new (used) cylinder head for the GT6. The place I
bought it from had real problems with an ice storm around Christmas, and
they didn't get it to UPS until last Monday. Hopefully I'll get it this
week, and I'll have it running again by late next week. I miss it! I had just
gotten everything working, and it looked so nice inside...

I left the order form for a new teak GT6 dash on the kitchen table, all
filled out and ready to go, along with a subtle reminder that Jan. 21 is
my birthday. It's gone now. I figure it's either in the trash, or I'll
have a nice new dash come the 21st...

Happy new year, folks!

Larry