Re: newsgroup NOT!- other solutions

To: Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: newsgroup NOT!- other solutions
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 94 15:13:17 CST
Roger says:
   > Back in the days when the b-c list had a seemingly Lucas based server, and
   > either crashed often, or got moved from place to place, and I had a poor
   > mail reader (basic UNIX mail), I used to favor a newsgroup for stability,
   > 2) Get a better mail reader! This is often the simplist solution. Modern
   > mail programs can do wonders- There are programs available on all major

If you're stuck using good old UNIX mail, add the line

        set VISUAL=more

to your .mailrc

This allows digest readers to jump to text strings (subject lines, for
instance), jump back to your starting point (the Digest index, for
instance), and other nifty features.  This simple "fix" eliminates the
need to "page through all the stuff I don't want to read..."

BTW, I don't think there is the need for a news group (for reasons
already mentioned) as I am quite happy with the list the way it is.
However, that doesn't mean that a newsgroup couldn't be formed by
interested parties.  Either way, it doesn't really concern this list or
its future.

Just MHO,
Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu