Sunbeam Alchemy (Alpine to Tiger conversion)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Sunbeam Alchemy (Alpine to Tiger conversion)
From: John Adams <John_Adams@rand.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 93 22:37:13 PST
Mike Yeek asks:

>OK, I've heard of people converting their Alpines to "Tigers" by installing
>their own 260, 289, etc. And  have heard about "RotoRooters"(Mazda RX-7
>engines). I've got an Alpine which needs a complete overhaul and I'm thinking
>about having some fun. Since I'm only contemplating it at this stage, money
>and time aren't really problems. The only problem is I've only HEARD is about
>these conversions. Haven't seen any or talked to folks who've owned/done
>them. Anyone out there with any stories, ideas on interesting engine/tranny
>swaps?

As has been mentioned you need a pretty big collection of parts for this
conversion. The tranny in most Tigers is the Ford toploader, pretty easy to
find. The rear end is a Dana 44, these are available from wrecked post office
jeeps or old Studebakers or about a dozen other donors. The steering is all
different and I don't think it is common to anything else. Other than springs
I have heard that there are suspenion differences but no one has every really
explained this to me very well. In a couple of months I will have my Tiger and
Alpine in the same place and I will finally get the differences sorted out.

The shop notes put out by CAT, the California Tiger Club, has a lot of parts
substitution info. I also recall that the Tigers/Alpines East club shop notes
have a pretty detailed article on putting a German Ford Capri drivetrain in an
Alpine. I have heard good things about this engine, anybody else have a more
informed opinion? Since Capri rims supposedly fit the Tiger there may be some
other advantages to this swap as well.