Re: British Cars Digest #1010 Thu Nov 25 01:15:00 MST 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1010 Thu Nov 25 01:15:00 MST 1993
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 14:55:07 -0500
>> The reason for this note is a query about GrossJets.  When the car was
>> running, sometimes the valves in the carbs would stick and gas would
>> continue to flow causing gas to leak out one of the smaller holes in the
>> front (I think, best I can recall).  When the engine started, the
>> vibration seems to cause the valve to close (but I'll be not quite as
>> cleanly as could have been).
>
>Jim, You have just described the classic failure mode of Gross Jets.  When
>they
>work, they work well.  When they don't, they do not close and all kinds of
>petrol flows out of the carbs.  My front carb on the BGT had one that went on
>strike occasionally.  A tap or 6 with the knock off hammer usually convinced
>it
>to behave.  The rear jet was well behaved.
>
>I would say they are good if you get a good set.  If you don't, well you can
>always take your car off the road, pull the offending jet off & send it back
>where you purchased it for a replacement.

        Uh, TeriAnn, you mis-read his message.  He has needle-type valves, and
wanted to know about GrossJets.

        Personally, I don't think I've heard of anyone other than you having
problems with GrossJets.  I installed some in my TR6 (Z-S carbs) 3 years ago,
and have had no problems.

        Perhaps, as you said, you got a bum one, or maybe you got a load of
bad fuel or had a hole in your fuel filter that let something nasty into
your jet/carb, or maybe just gasoline "varnish"/gum built up.

        Randell Jesup