Re: GrossJets

To: jbrannan@hprpcd.rose.hp.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GrossJets
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 93 10:38:29 -0800
In message <9311241627.AA16171@hprpcd.rose.hp.com> Jim Brannan writes:
> Hello again...
>
> Well, we're set to drop the new motor in Friday morning and hope to fire
> it up around 2:00 (wahy m I getting scared?)...
>
> The reason for this note is a query about GrossJets.  When the car was
> running, sometimes the valves in the carbs would stick and gas would
> continue to flow causing gas to leak out one of the smaller holes in the
> front (I think, best I can recall).  When the engine started, the
> vibration seems to cause the valve to close (but I'll be not quite as
> cleanly as could have been).

Jim, You have just described the classic failure mode of Gross Jets.  When they
work, they work well.  When they don't, they do not close and all kinds of
petrol flows out of the carbs.  My front carb on the BGT had one that went on
strike occasionally.  A tap or 6 with the knock off hammer usually convinced it
to behave.  The rear jet was well behaved.

I would say they are good if you get a good set.  If you don't, well you can
always take your car off the road, pull the offending jet off & send it back to
where you purchased it for a replacement.

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561