'other-half' becomes 'car-widow'....

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 'other-half' becomes 'car-widow'....
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 93 09:46:48 CST
Well,

Remember I posted that note about a '76 spitfire for sale last week, the one
that was disassembled??

I bought it....why oh why oh why??? I was meant to be looking at for somebody
on the list (thats what I told my OH), so on frifday night I trundle
over to the other side of town too see it with my OH.

The guy selling it was an automotive engineer, and had but the car as a project
but was now moving to FL witha smaller garage (he already had a nice Merc.,
and a 1960 T-bird with ...get this....7.2 LITRE ENGINE (something around the
450hp level!)). It really was in pieces, the engine and 'box had been rebuilt
and painted and was mounted on the front half of a frame with all the suspension
etc. There was a newly grit blasted frame, and about five boxes of stuff.

He had done an inventory, and 99% of the stuff was there.
There was also a lot of dupolicate parts e.g. 9 wheels! 2 front ends,
1 1/2 rear ends.
The body
is is excellent condition (for an ex Boston car) and only the floor pans
show only small signs of rust. He wanted only $300 for the lot, but was
desperate to get rid of the stuff - he had to be out of the house by next
friday. So, I made him an offer of $100, and he said great, when can you move it
??

Well, I'm very pleased with myself. Although this is probably going
to wait until next summer before I can start on it! First things first,
I need a picture of a ''76 Spit. I've seen them, but can't picy=ture this
one. The rear body looks v. like a TR-6. Also, I think
the engine is a 1500...is this the Midget 1500...the so called Spitfidget??

More questions...
1) the guy said it was a real simple job to put together because just about
everything can be mounted on the frame and then the body is just dropped
over the top. How much can be mounted on the frame...is this true??
2) He said to leave the floor pans untill the body was mounted on the frame
and then cut out the pans and weld in new ones becasue the body would twist
out of shape otherwise. Is this true? I would rather get the body together,
then spray it, then mount it in the frame.

Cheers

Marcus
'74 Midget
'76 Spitfire (Wahooooo!)