Oil Consumption

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Consumption
From: alevinso@motown.ge.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 08:25:40 -0500 (EST)
Sorry for no LBC contents - I wish I could talk about my '61 Bugeye oil
consumption but its in a middle of a five year ground up rebuild. The question
is a lot more mandane. I have a '86 Mazda 626 (commuter car) with 105,000 miles
on it. About 10-15k miles ago it started using oil. Nothing dramatic, just a
quart of oil every 350 miles or so but its increasing fairly rapidly.
I figure in another 5,000 miles, I'll be adding a quart every fillup. It is not
leaking and I don't see any blue smoke on acceleration - I figure it is mainly
the rings. It is a typical Japanese 2.0 liter FI 4 banger. I live in Philly and
use 10W-30 oil year around. Should I switch to heavier viscosity oil, try
oil additives (like STP), think of the engine overhaul (it is still on the
original clutch!), sell the car (that is what my wife wants)?

I hate to admit ignorance, but I don't know much about oils and
additives. Are there any real differences in oil brands and are the additives
worth the money or do they even work (other then gunking up the works)?

Recently, I've seen discussions re usage of different oil grades in different
climates, single viscosity vs. multi, etc. Any reading material pointers
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Alex Levinson
alevinso@motown.ge.com