Re: electronic ignition

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 23:14:25 EST
RE: Fuel Injection

>neighbour. A simple in line valve screws on between the tap and the
>hose and consists of a flap held open by a spring. If a large
>pressure differential develops across the valve (as occurs when
.the hose bursts) the spring can't hold the valve open and the
>valve slams shut. In normal operation there is negligible pressure
>drop across the valve. Notice that it doesn't rely on any
>additional sensors that might be failure prone. I'm suprised
>that such a system doesn't already exist for fuel injection!?
>Patrick Krejcik.

No system that I'm aware of uses such a thing. Such a device would work fine
if a total hose/line failure happened. But in the real world, fuel injection
leaks occur as incredibly small pin holes in a hose that sprays a little
high pressure stream of fuel directly at the ignition or the exhaust. This
leak will make absolutely no difference to the system pressure. The only
par that would notice is the pressure regulator. The amount of fuel it
would need to dump back into the tank would decrease ever so slighty.

Besides which, if a catostrophic hose failure did occur, the engine would die
right then and there, and the relay would turn the pump off.

  Randy
   randy@taylor.wyvern.com