oil pump and crankshaft lock tabs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: oil pump and crankshaft lock tabs
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 93 10:30:55 CST
I got a big box of parts from VB yesterday and I was sorting threough and
checking them and found a couple of weird parts.

First, the lock tabs that go on the oil pump ('74 Midget) - my originals
were a piece of metal with a hole at either end and tabs that were bent up.
Mine looked to be exactly the same as in the VB picture (p66, #54),
yet the part I recieved from VB had three holes, none of which lined
up with holes in the oil pump, and yet the VB part had the same catologue
number as the correct looking part on p66. I called 'em up and got the
telephone person/drone reply that it probably fitted or my eng. had
been modified (well, the parts don't fit on the new oil pump which is
identical to the old!).
`
Second, the lockwasher for the crankshaft didn't look like
the old one. The new one looked like a small tea saucer with a hole in
`the center. I can't see how that would prevent the nut from turning,
beacuse there was no tab to bend up. Again, it was the correct part number,`
but the new part did not exactly match the piccy (which my old part did).
Is this a new type of lockwasher?? I think I would feel safer with the old
version.

Third, I'm sending the offending parts back, and I noticed that VB take
20% of the refund (for whatever reason) if you don't order something
immediately. Thats preety disgusting seeing as the parts don't match
what is advertissed...false advertising chharge against them. Well, this
time it was a buck a piece lockwasher, but I don't think I'll be
ordering from VB again, I prefer to talk to a knowledgable person
who doesn't have to look up the pat answer to your questions...hell,
VB isn't even cheap!

Marcus