Re: My TR6 ate its fan

To: flake@d311510.atl.hp.com (Joe Flake)
Subject: Re: My TR6 ate its fan
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1993 09:38:09 -0600 (CST)
Joe Flake writes >

> I found that the reason my fan would turn was indeed the lack
> of the positioning pins where the crank extension mounts.  Actually
> they were there, but forced up into the extension and flush on
> the mounting surface.  My guess is that when it was last assembled
> (there was an engine rebuild done two POs back) the mechanic
> slapped it to the front of the crank, stuck the bolt in and hit
> it with the big air impact wrench (the bolt is a 5/8" to be tightened
> to ~90 ft-lbs).  The pins weren't in the crank holes and simply
> pressed back into the extension!  (The holes for the pins go all the
> way through the extension)  Anyway this big bolt which holds

This same thing can happen to the road wheels of Lotus Elans with
knockoffs.  The wheels are pin drive, unlike the Rudge types found on MGs,
Healeys and Triumphs.  Especially if you have cast wheels with blind holes
so you cannot see the pins when correctly installed.  The
incorrectly-positioned road wheel presses the drive pins through the hub.
Shortly afterward, the wheel falls off.  Messy.

Other than this, the pin-drive system seems much better than the Rudge
type with all the spline wear and sticking problems.

phile@stpaul.gov