re: Max RPM

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Max RPM
From: wily1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 10:08:34 EST
David Brady <dmb@Synoptics.COM> writes

>All this talk about engine mods has me thinking about an interresting
>formula ... (the) upper limit to the speed at which any engine can rotate
without self destructing... is:

>                    RPM Limit = 4000/( S x .00656 )
>
>S equals stroke in millimeters
>
>At a sustained spin of "RPM Limit" the engine will certainly suffer
>broken rings, pistons, connecting rods etc.  (Details Deleted)

Question for TITK WRT A-Series Spridgets:

What RPM limits do you use?

Is this a likely explanation for broken piston rings in my 1098 crank/1275
block auto-xer? According to the above formula, my Theoretical Break Parts
RPM Threshold is 7285 RPM, minus 10% => 6556 RPM. I *try* to shift as the
needle goes by 6500, but as you probably know, there's precious little time
to watch the clock.

I have plenty of breathing capacity, and have seen 8000+ RPM (gasp :-0 )
once.  Is there any way to swing the balance in my favor so I can use that
extra area under the curve?

Thanks,

Ernest Davis
'66 Sprite, '72 Midget