exhaust manifold gaskets

To: uunet!autox.team.net!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: exhaust manifold gaskets
From: cdenzler@sierra.com (Christian R. Denzler)
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1993 08:42:42 -0800
} Date: Wed, 03 Nov 93 18:17:16 GMT
} From: waddy@vsfl.demon.co.uk (Simon Waddington)
} Subject: Blowing Spitfire exhaust manifolds
}
} Does any one have experience of Spitfire head exhaust manifold gaskets
} blowing?  I bought a 1500 in July and the gasket was blowing then.
} After replacing it it went after six weeks, the one after that has
} just started blowing again!

I have a truck that the PO installed an aftermarket header on.  I just could
not get the thing to seal, since the surface was not quite flat.  I had gone
through a half dozen gaskets and happened to run into an old hot-rod guy.
He said to try Liquid Steel as a gasket goop.  It works!  The stuff will fill
in low spots on the manifold and head, can be scraped off when it comes apart
the next time, and appears to withstand the heat.

                                  - Chris