Re: British Cars Digest #965 Tue Oct 12 01:15:01 MDT 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #965 Tue Oct 12 01:15:01 MDT 1993
From: Rey Barry <rbarry@hopper.acs.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 15:34:16 -0500 (EDT)
Two brief queries:

Would whomever replies to the "Car Storage For Winter" thread please either
carbon copy me or post to SOL.  My wife keeps reminding me I have a B
project parked where her M-B *WILL GO* sometime before Thanksgiving.

2nd, we're finishing a rebuild of the MGB exhaust system and need to know
if these '75s had a leakage problem around the donut between the header and
the front pipe.

If they did we'll use some NAPA exhaust sealer around the donut.  If they
aren't prone to leak, we won't use sealer.

BTW, TRF supplies brass nuts in their kit to replace the 3 studs connecting
the header to the front pipe.  The presumption is(?) they won't rust and
they handle heat better than steel.  What they WON'T do is allow you to
screw them up tight against the unthreaded part of the stud in order to
tighten the butt of the stud in the manifold.  As soon as the butt is
tight, the brass nuts merrily remove their thread turn by turn until you
notice what's going on.  5/16 SAE narrow thread nuts available wherever
nuts call home.  The traditional 2-nuts-locked-together works fine, ofo
course.

Wal-Mart sells a heavy-dury garage jack for $70 which is $30 less than
K-Mart, for about the same piece of equipment.  I needed a new one when the
old, smaller one, failed.  Anyone familiar with what might go wrong with
small hydraulic jacks?  This one lifts it's arm but not when there's weight
on it.  Right, the substantial leak has some influence on this, so it's
seals we're concerned with.  Does it pay to mess with these, or pass them
on to guys named Duane and be done with it?  Come to think of it, I *got*
it from a guy named Duane.

--
--
With no other tyrant man must create his own tyranny over man. Sayonara,