Re: Carbs etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, kendallr@smtplink.chey.com
Subject: Re: Carbs etc.
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 09:40:08 -0700
Kendall,
Its very hard to beat a pair of SUs & I do not think a downdraft carb hanging
on the side of a four banner can come close.  Any carb that is worn will be
a poor actor. A good set of SUs, once properly adjusted just stay in
adjustment.  I might consider going to a bigger pair of SUs if I wanted high
end power & didn't mind sacrificing a little on the low end.  Looking at the
curves in the intake manifold of a single DCOE, I'm not sure it would be better
than a properly set up pair of SUs.

If the steering box wasn't in the way, Iwould have adapted a set of SUs and
a TR3 intake manifold (ports line up as does two of the mounting holes!!)
to my Land Rover.  I'm putting rebushed SUs back on my BGT.  The TR3A is
getting a pair of DCOEs only because I think the look so cute.  I expect to
lose low end power, and petrol milage.. but they are cute hanging off the
side of a TR four banger with 87mm pistons, cast Al sump and valve cover,
header, etc.
I just do not think a down draft hanging off the side of a four banger can
beat a pair of side drafts.

TeriAnn
Call me old fashon, but I think down draft Webbers belong between red valve
covers on V-12s.