British invasion

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: British invasion
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1993 10:02:06 -0400 (EDT)
The British Invasion car show in Stowe, VT featured an exceptional
collection of lbc's.  I got to spend a few minutes with SOLer George
Haynes, and admired his immaculate dove grey MGA with red interior.
Exactly the color scheme I have imagined on the MGB-GT I might someday
build.  Some highlight cars were a Healey Silverstone and an aerodynamic
factory Morgan coupe (I forget the model--Plus4S+, or some such).  I've
seen pictures of these, but have never before seen either in the
flesh--ah, steel.

There were also a really lovely prewar MG midget roadster, a spectacular
Mark V Jag-yew-ar drophead, a Morgan 3-wheeler, and more.  A couple of
hundred more, at least.  The mind boggled.  There were large numbers of
big and little Healeys--not as many as at a national AH Club conclave, but
a lot.  In the Sprite class, Kermit took third place in people's choice,
from among about 10 or 11 Sprites, about 9 of them bugeyes.  Last year he
was first, but he only had 30 miles on the restoration then, 20 of them
driving to Stowe, and there were more and better Sprites this year than
last, so the competition keeps getting better.

All in all, it was a fine day.  My companion, who once owned and welded
patches onto an MGB (we may be talking soul mate territory here) was
especially taken by the Mark V Jag-yew-ar drophead.  The clouds did not
burst until we were on the way home.  Kermie did not falter, though.
Nothing leaked noticably and his lbw's (little british wipers) did a fair
job of coping.  I've let him drive me to work today; there won't be too
many more days before I have to put him on blocks for the winter.

Yesterday, we followed a white Jag-yew-ar XK120 roadster up route 7 (yes,
the top was down).  Lovely sight; lovely sound.  I used to hang around the
St. Louis Jag-yew-ar and MG dealer salivating over cars just like it.  I
could never own one, though; I keep slipping and saying Jag-war.

 Ray Gibbons, So. Burlington VT, USA.