Daimler runs, TR6 fan disaster averted

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Daimler runs, TR6 fan disaster averted
From: paisley@central.bldrdoc.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 93 21:51:21 MDT
Mark_Banaszak-Holl@brown.edu writes:
 > I also saw an ad for a car in Boulder.
 >
 > Really spiffy TR6, very reliable, just driveled cross-country,
 > a real high-performance car.  Willing to sell at a loss for
 > only $25,000.
 >
 >   (Scotty, I want a 10% commision for this ad if it sells  ?-)

You got it!  Of course, if you buy it, I'm not going to lower the
price 10%, and you have to come and get it!  :-)  No folks the car
isn't for sale, well, maybe for THAT price...

Daimler Power
-------------
Anyway, this past weekend proved to be quite a time at the Buja's
Mechanical Garden Paradise.  The goal for the day was for me to change
the oil in the TR6, for Jean to free her stuck rear brake adjuster,
and for Lawrence to get the Daimler started.  The oil change went just
fine.  Jean got the brake adjuster off in no time flat, and with some
choice words, magical mystery oils, and some brute force, we had
success on task number two.  Now the Daimler...

The Daimler hadn't run for over 10 months.  I'm not sure why it
stopped running, but we were sure that there were problems with spark.
Our collective wisdoms concluded that the problem was with the points
in the distributor.  While Lawerance and I fiddled with the points,
Jean finally announced, "I want the distributor out of there, in my
hand!"  Within minutes Jean and Lawrence were talking *to* the
distributor out of the car.  After fiddling and talking shop for an
hour, the distributor went back in the car.  Along with modifications
of course.  Some more tests, and we were convinced that all was well
with the points (there are two sets on this baby!)  So we tried to
start it.  Nada. Zip. Zero. Nothing.  So, we placed an old plug on the
end of wire #1, and yes we had spark.  But what about the plugs in the
car?  Sure enough, no spark at all from the old plugs.  Off to the
nearest parts shop and $12 later, we had some brand new plugs.
Install the new plugs and just before we attempt to try to start this
classy auto one more time, Jean's husband walks up the driveway in a
Tux.  Lawrence turned the key, pushed the starter button and this V8
roared to life as if it never had a problem starting it it's life!
Now, you all may feel that new plugs may have been the key to a good
start, but in my opinion, we should've had a Tux show up hours
earlier!

How to remove a Crank Pulley
----------------------------
With the Denver Brit car show on the way, Lawrence and I decided to
tune the TR6 carbs with a color tune this evening (thursday).  Upon
arrival to the Buja's, Lawrence noted that there was some kinda clank
that just didn't sound right.  I agreed and had been having a weird
vibration problem for some time now...  Come to find out, the crank
pulley was coming off!  Yes completely off.  How did I remove this
bolt after removing the radiator and the fan?  With my hands of
course!  Wow.  What a close call.  I had visions of my fan flying
right into the radiator.  (Sound familiar Bob?)  Sheesh!  Anyway, 100
foot lbs and some 242 locktite later, I had one smooth TR6 engine once
again.  Except for the alternator...  That's making some kinda
crunching sound... sorta...  Anyway, I'm sure its days are numbered.
Ah well, it's still putting out power.  I'll start calling around to
find one.  Maybe I'll find one at the Conclave this weekend.  Yeah...

Till the next adventure - Use the Tux Trick...

-Scotty