Re: (lower end bearings in a TR-250)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, montnaro@ausable.crd.ge.com
Subject: Re: (lower end bearings in a TR-250)
From: Mike Jeffreys <mjj@muppet.bt.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 11:06:08 BST
From: montnaro@ausable.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro)

Re:

    I found the upper bearing shells a bit tricky to remove and insert. You
    just have to fiddle with them and turn the crank to remove the old
    ones. Oil both sides of the new shells. That seemed to help for me. I
    plastigauged one main before and after. Same numbers as the rod
    bearing. Again, make sure to retain the original position and
    orientation of the bearing caps.

In the above paragraph you mention:

                  Oil both sides of the new shells.

Assuming David H. doesn't get here first, I pass on his previous message
on this item; with which I concur:

"Just a warning here. When replacing main bearings like this, use lots of oil
on the "bearing surface", but NO oil on the backing sides. Bearings should
be applied dry to bearing caps and the block face. Heat transfer is of utmost
concern, so metal-to-metal contact must be as perfect as possible. Once the
bearings are installed, then lots of oil (or a lithium "white" grease) can
be applied to the "moving" surface."